Ground Data Segment Developer
RemoteGermany, Baden-Württemberg, FreiburgData Platform
A career at Constellr is for those who are seeking the extraordinary. We are operating in the new space and agri-tech sectors, combining engineering, Earth Observation and agronomy to address one of the biggest challenges of our time: how to ensure global food security.
We are a fast-growing team of highly motivated engineers, scientists, and business professionals with a shared vision to rebase decision making in tomorrow’s smart farming industry. Constellr has offices in the European capital, Brussels, situated between the attractive Etterbeek and Watermael districts and in beautiful Freiburg, in south west Germany, bordering the Black Forest and in close proximity to France and Switzerland.What we are looking for
We are looking for highly adaptable remote sensing data scientists with experience in the processing of remote sensing data ideally in the long wave infrared spectrum. Our perfect candidates will be driven to advance the state of the art in remote sensing data science and processing.
You will be tasked with producing highly precise and orthorectified land surface temperature, surface reflectance and emissivity products which will be further used to develop and derive commercially viable decision-making tools to help guide a more sustainable agricultural system.
Your tasks will include:
- Contributing to the method development and operational implementation of constellr’s processing pipeline infrastructure
- Contributing to the method development and operational implementation of constellr’s higher level product processors
- Coordinating between remote sensing science, software development and application teams
- Supporting the acceptance of space and ground systems and collaborating cross-functionally
- Supporting multiple projects and take open-ended or high-level guidance, independently and collaboratively to make discoveries that are mission-relevant, and package and deliver the findings to product & commercial teams
- Exercising your intellectual curiosity, quantitative acumen, and focus on converting high quality raw remote sensing data into actionable L1 and L2 products in a scalable manner
We expect you to have
- A background in Computer Science, Informatics, or similar and relevant job experience
- Familiarity with cloud based environments (AWS, Azure, GCP etc.) and managed services, experience in developing and deploying software in containerized environments using Docker/containerd. Bonus points for experience in container orchestration using Kubernetes/Nomad
- You have built and deployed scalable processing pipelines for data intensive applications. You are familiar with directed acyclic graph (DAG) based workflows.
- Developed software or scripts involving raster geospatial data and using libraries such as GDAL, Rasterio etc. (especially in the context of L1 data processing and/or image calibration-validation). You are familiar with using GIS tools (e.g. QGIS) for inspection and debugging.
- Knowledge of modern software development techniques including usage of Git, participation in sprints, code reviews and testing etc.
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- Good communication skills to effectively convey your work to a variety of technical and non-technical audience
- A self-starter attitude and a proven track record of active learning and creative problem solving
- The ability to work autonomously and analytically and be results-oriented
- High discipline in view of the mission ahead
You will be part of a fast-growing, multidisciplinary and diverse team with a strong desire to leverage change
You will be given the autonomy to set and deliver against your own goals, develop new skills and capabilities and lead others to do the same
You can directly influence your contribution to achieving several of the UN's sustainable development goals, including Zero Hunger, Clean Water, No Poverty and Climate Action
You will contribute to bringing the world’s first commercial infrared constellation into orbit and enabling an entirely novel set of smart farming capabilities, as part of our mission to build a new biophysical atlas, driving an unprecedented understanding of our planet and its resources.
We offer a competitive salary & benefits package and for some roles a remote or hybrid model. We encourage you to spend at least some time in Freiburg with the team.