Mission Planning Systems Engineer
RemoteGermany, Bayern, FreiburgEngineering
A career at ConstellR is for those who are seeking the extraordinary. We are operating in the new space sector; combining engineering, Earth Observation and data to address one of the biggest challenges of our time: how to ensure global food security.
A Fraunhofer spin-out, we are a fast-growing team of more than a dozen highly motivated engineers, scientists, and business developers with a shared vision to rebase decision making in tomorrow’s smart farming industry. ConstellR has its headquarters in beautiful Freiburg, bordering the Black Forest in the North and East and in close proximity to France and Switzerland.
We are looking for an exceptional team player with experience in design and architecting satellite mission planning tools, ideally with relevant experience in developing operational procedures for Earth observation missions. We are looking for an individual who is goal-oriented, creative, flexible, and comfortable handling many diverse and sometimes open-ended assignments. The ideal candidate has a holistic view and can project the end-user needs, and high-level system design, into the design of the mission planning system and constellation operational procedures.
You will be involved with:
- Development of constellation mission planning procedures as part of the overall mission operations segment team
- Analysis of user requirements in close cooperation with the commercial team to determine the objectives of the mission planning and translate end-user needs to requirements of the mission planning system
- Maintaining the requirements of the mission planning system
- Design the overall architecture of the mission planning system
- Definition and control of the interfaces between mission planning and other components of ground operations, and external data providers
- Definition and modeling of the onboard resources and other constraints to mission planning
- Development of small software tools and scripts for the mission planning system
- Participation in the verification and validation activities for the mission planning system
- Collaboration with the satellite and payload development teams to define and maintain operational procedures
- Creation of the necessary technical documentation
Your skills & experience
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or equivalent
- Experience in satellite operations, particularly in Earth Observation missions
- Strong grasp of systems engineering principles applied to space projects, and project development lifecycle
- Practical experience in making architectural decisions, documenting, and communicating them
- Knowledge of the constraints and challenges of earth observation missions and instruments
- Familiarity with satellite ground segment components
- Strong grasp of software engineering fundamentals, software development tools and techniques
- Development skills in Python and Java
- Familiarity with ECSS standards
- Ideally (optional):
- Familiarity and prior knowledge of MBSE tools and processes
- Familiarity or previous experience with operational procedure development tools, and mission planning is a plus.
- Familiarity with Git and CI/CD pipelines
- Ability to commit to the plan and deliver the expected results on time, or to report proactively if any deviations are foreseen
- Ability to rapidly expand application specific knowledge sets and skills where necessary and to quickly familiarize with new areas of responsibility
- An engaging and social team-player spirit, with a strong motivation to help build and shape ConstellR’s organization
- The ability to work autonomously, and analytically, and be results-oriented
- Comfortable working in a distributed team, and well versed in using collaborative tools
- Very good written as well as spoken English skills
- High discipline in view of the massive mission ahead
What we offer you
- You will be part of a fast-growing, multi-disciplinary and diverse team with a strong desire to change the world
- You will be given the autonomy to set and deliver against your own goals, develop new skills and capabilities and lead others to do the same.
- You can directly influence your contribution to achieving several of the UN's sustainable development goals, including Zero Hunger, Clean Water, No Poverty and Climate Action
- You will tackle challenges and contribute to delivering the world’s first commercial infrared constellation into orbit, enabling an unprecedented understanding of our planet and its resources.