Mission Team Lead
RemoteGermany, Baden-Württemberg, FreiburgEngineering
A career at Constellr is for those who are seeking the extraordinary. We are operating in the new space and agri-tech sectors, combining engineering, Earth Observation and agronomy to address one of the biggest challenges of our time: how to ensure global food security.
We are a fast-growing team of highly motivated engineers, scientists, and business professionals with a shared vision to rebase decision making in tomorrow’s smart farming industry. Constellr has offices in the European capital, Brussels, situated between the attractive Etterbeek and Watermael districts and in beautiful Freiburg, in south west Germany, bordering the Black Forest and in close proximity to France and Switzerland.What we are looking for
We are looking for an exceptional team player with experience in leading satellite missions and systems design, development and operations, ideally for Earth observation and/or constellations, who creatively applies his expertise to solve problems in novel and cost-effective ways, who is creative, flexible, and comfortable handling many diverse and sometimes open-ended assignments.
Your tasks will include:
- Leading technical teams to successfully deliver end-to-end satellite mission development activities
- Lead the design & development of our Earth observation missions, coordinating mission-level engineering activities of a wide range of domain experts
- Define and analyze overall mission architectures and performances, including both space and ground segments
- Perform functional and operational analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition to translate customer requirements into mission & system specifications
- Lead the definition and management of mission requirements, mission budgets and engineering databases and ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints
- Lead mission studies and system trades for enhanced capabilities and develop plans to ramp-up new mission capabilities while protecting the primary mission
- Support progress reviews and gates towards completion of project phases; closely monitor and control all mission level budgets
- Provide program support for identifying and mitigating technical risks
- Lead interactions with customers, partners, and subcontractors
- Provide support to in-orbit operations including LEOP and IOT
We expect you to have
- Master’s degree in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline
- Previous experience in space systems engineering and in technical leadership positions
- Breadth of experience leading satellite missions & systems design and development, ideally in LEO constellations and/or optical systems
- Working knowledge of spacecraft operations and related ground systems
- Familiarity with the full space program lifecycle, from business development, proposal generation and contract negotiations, all the way through design, development, assembly, test and successful delivery
- Nice to have: experience in utilizing Model Based Systems Engineering for development of mission architectures, concept of operations, and architecture-to-requirements traceability
- Experience and confidence in leading multidisciplinary project teams achieve complex goals and supporting their personal development
- Ability to maintain good and collaborative relationships with customers and suppliers and experience in managing subcontractors
- Able to commit to the plan and deliver the expected results on time, or to report proactively if any deviations are foreseen.
- Ability to rapidly expand application specific knowledge sets and skills where necessary and to quickly familiarize with new areas of responsibility
- Drive to bring projects to completion, passion and enthusiasm
- An engaging and social team-player spirit, with a strong motivation to help build and shape ConstellR’s organization
- The ability to work autonomously and analytically, and be results-oriented,
- Very good written as well as spoken English skills
- High discipline in view of the massive mission ahead
You will be part of a fast-growing, multidisciplinary and diverse team with a strong desire to leverage change
You will be given the autonomy to set and deliver against your own goals, develop new skills and capabilities and lead others to do the same
You can directly influence your contribution to achieving several of the UN's sustainable development goals, including Zero Hunger, Clean Water, No Poverty and Climate Action
You will contribute to bringing the world’s first commercial infrared constellation into orbit and enabling an entirely novel set of smart farming capabilities, as part of our mission to build a new biophysical atlas, driving an unprecedented understanding of our planet and its resources.
We offer a competitive salary & benefits package and for some roles a remote or hybrid model. We encourage you to spend at least some time in Freiburg with the team.